Dr. Paul Kwabena Obeng
Dean School of Informatics Engineering and Technology (SIET)
Office Hours: 10.00am-4.00pm (Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays)
- PhD (Physics), University of Cape Coast, Cape Coast, (2013),Ghana
- MSc (Integrated Optics/Electronics), Friendship University, (1983), Moscow, Russia
- BSC (Physics), Friendship University, (1981),Moscow, Russia
Dr Obeng joined the Regent University College of Science and Technology in January 2014. Before that, he worked for the National Nuclear Research Institute (NNRI) of Ghana Atomic Energy Commission (GAEC) for twenty eight years as a Senior Research Scientist and Manager of the Digital Electronics and Nuclear Instrumentation Centre (DENIC). As a leader of the centre, he played active role in the maintenance of scientific and nuclear instruments, design and development of various electronic interfaces that made it possible for existing equipment be used to meet other research needs of scientists. Dr Obeng among others led DENIC to represent GAEC at the COMPUTECH ’94 (Computer and Technology fair) where they received an award on “The most innovative in computer research applications” for GAEC.
He had various trainings in Microprocessors, and nuclear instrumentation with the International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP), and International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA. Presently he is the Project Scientific Consultant of IAEA Project on Nuclear and Medical Instruments in Africa.
Training Courses / Workshops / Expert Missions/Meetings
- Workshop on optical fibre communication, ICTP, Trieste, Italy, 24th February – 21st March 1986.
- Workshop on telemetric ICTP, Trieste, Italy, 7th September – 2nd October 1987.
- 4th College on microprocessors and its applications in physics, International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP), Trieste,, Italy, 5th – 30th October 1987.
- Winter College on laser physics, semiconductor lasers and integrated optics, ICTP, Trieste, Italy, 22nd February – 11th March 1988.
- 2nd Workshop on optical fibre communication, ICTP, Trieste, Italy, 14th – 25th March 1988
- College on the design of real-time control systems, ICTP Trieste, Italy, 15th – 26th October 1990.
- Inter-regional training course on interfacing in nuclear experiments, Chaing Mai, Thailand, 16th October - 8th December 1989.
- IAEA Six month fellowship training in spectroscopy instrumentation, microprocessor based instrumentation design and nuclear reactor control, Seibersdorf, Austria, 13th September 1992 – 30th March 1993.
- International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) fellowship training on the maintenance and calibration of Siemens/ MEDX (LFOV) gamma cameras, Wooddale, USA, 1st April – 30th June 1993.
- Fourth College on Basic VLSI design techniques; ICTP, Trieste, Italy, 18th November – 6th December 1996.
- IAEA Expert mission on the installation of a refurbished Siemens LFOV Gamma camera at the Kenyatta National Hospital, Nairobi, Kenya, 8 -18 March 1994.
- IAEA Expert mission to Mulago Teaching Hospital on repair of the LFOV gamma camera at the nuclear Medicine unit, Kampala, Uganda, 25th September-9th October 1994
- National training course on PC interfacing, Accra, Ghana, 20th February – 17th March 1995, lecturer, course director.
- IAEA Expert mission to Kenyatta National hospital, on final stages of gamma camera installation, Nairobi, Kenya, 2nd -12th April 1995
- IAEA Regional (AFRA) co-ordination meeting on medical component, Accra, Ghana 8th – 12th May 1995.
- IAEA Regional (AFRA) training course on protection of nuclear instrument, Accra, Ghana, 4th – 29th September 1995.
- IAEA Regional (AFRA) Training workshop on maintenance of Siemens/MEDX gamma camera, Accra, Ghana, 7th November – 15th December 1995, lecturer and course director.
- IAEA 2nd Regional coordination meeting on AFRA IV -20 project on maintenance of scientific instruments, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia 26th February – 15th March 1996.
- IAEA Task-group consultative meeting on preventive maintenance of gamma cameras in Africa, Khartoum, Sudan, 16th – 27th March 1996.
- IAEA Consultants meeting on the use of IBM PC in spect. system; Xian, China, 8th – 19th April, 1996.
- IAEA Regional (AFRA) training course on design and development of small scale nuclear instrument, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 1st – 14th June 1996 – course lecturer
- IAEA Regional (AFRA) Training course on PC interfacing to nuclear instruments; Accra, Ghana, 4th – 8th May 1998 –lecturer and course director.
- IAEA Regional workshop on good management practices and strategies for income generation, Tunis, Tunisia, 16th – 17h June 2003.
- IAEA Project coordination meeting on scientific and medical components on Sustaining Regional Capability in maintenance and repair of scientific instruments- Rabat, Morocco, 20-24 March 2006.
- IAEA Regional training workshop on repair and maintenance of modern microprocessor based nuclear instruments, Accra, Ghana, 15-19 May 2006- Course organizer, lecturer and director.
- IAEA Coordinated Research Meeting on development of computer based troubleshooting tools and instruments, Vienna Austria, 6-10 November 2000
Publications/Technical & conferences Reports:
- P. K. Obeng, B. K. Banini, John Kutor, E. Mornoh and C. A. Ashong (2013);
- Fine tuning and alignment of the Large Field of View (LFOV) gamma camera board: Merit Research Journal of Engineering, Pure and applied sciences, vol. 1(1) pp 001-004, November, 2013
- P. K. Obeng, Yaw Ampofo (1991); Technical report on The design and development of a microprocessor based traffic light Controller, NNRI, GAEC, Sept, 1991
- P.K. Obeng (1996); Technical report Interfacing a LM35Z temperature sensor to the IBM PC, NNRI,-GAEC, March 1996.
- P. K. Obeng(1996); Scientific paper delivered at the IAEA Research co-ordination meeting in 1996 on “PC based inductance and capacitance tester” – Vienna, Austria; February,1996.
- P. K. Obeng (1996); End of mission report to Mulago hospital “On maintenance and repairs of the gamma camera at the hospital” Kampala, Uganda, 18th – 28th July 1996; Submitted to IAEA, Vienna, on 2nd August 1996.
- P. K. Obeng (1997); End of IAEA expert mission report to Kenyatta national hospital “On repairs and alignment of the gamma camera at the hospital” Nairobi, Kenya, 1st – 12th March 1997; Submitted to IAEA, Vienna, Austria, on 20th March, 1997
- P. K. Obeng (1997); Technical report(1997); “Repair and alignment of gamma camera system at the nuclear medicine unit”; National Centre for Radiotherapy and Nuclear Medicine, (NCRNM),Korle-Bu Te, Accra, Ghana, June 1997, NNRI-GEAC.
- P. K. Obeng (2000);Scientific paper delivered at IAEA Coordinated Research meeting on Design and development of an 8085 microprocessor based power conditioner, Vienna, Austria, 2000.
- P. K. Obeng (2000); End of mission report on IAEA expert mission to repair MEDX gamma camera at the Mulago teaching hospital, Kampala, Uganda, 14th – 25th February 2000; Submitted to IAEA, Vienna, Austria, on 26th February 2000.
- P. K. Obeng (2000); End of IAEA expert mission report on Repair of the MEDX gamma camera and its interfacing to the Slovenian data acquisition card, at the Black Lion hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 20th November – 29th December 2000; Submitted to IAEA on 2nd January 2001
- P. K. Obeng, Bright Banini,Cynthia Ashong (2006); Technical Report on “8051Microcontroller based electronic door lock system”, NNRI, GAEC, Oct., 2006.
- P. K. Obeng & B.K. Banini (2010); Technical Report on “LCD Digital Clock/Thermometer design and development” NNRI, GAEC, June, 2010
- B. K. Banini & P. K. Obeng (2010); Technical Report on “Compact PIC 16F877 Microcontroller Based Temperature Monitor” NNRI, GAEC, Nov., 2010
- P. K. Obeng, C.A. Ashong, B.K. Banini, A.L. Okang, E. Mornoh, B. Ekow-Mensah, S. Addy (2011); Technical Report on AT89C2051 Microcontroller based Water Level Indicator, NNRI, GAEC, March, 2011
- Embedded systems design and development
- Voice and face recognition/encryption design
- Semiconductor lasers research
Memberships of professional bodies:
- Ghana Nuclear Society
- Soviet Trained Ghanaian Graduates Association (SOTGA)