On Thursday, 10th November, 2016, members of the Regent Community were taken through a fire education and drill, to equip members with the knowledge and skills to prevent and effectively respond to fire outbreaks.
Regent staff and students participated in the fire education and drill exercise, which was carried out by personnel from the Ghana National Fire Service.
As part of the exercise, members of the community were oriented on evacuation procedures, and were taken through fire prevention and fire-fighting tips.
Leading the training session, Station Officer Amponsah cautioned participants against practices that could lead to a fire outbreak. He mentioned practices such as overloading extension boards and electrical circuits with high energy consuming appliances, the forced usage of two pin plugs for three pin sockets, and the failure to switch off and unplug certain electrical appliances at the close of work, as potential causes of fire outbreaks.
He advised employers to adhere to good housekeeping practices, such as ensuring that corridors and alternative exits aren’t blocked with furniture and other items, to ensure safe evacuation in the event of a fire outbreak.
The Station Officer also advised staff of organisations to follow fire signages and to immediately make their way to respective designated assembly points at their places of work, whenever a fire-related emergency arises. He emphasized on the need to strictly follow instructions issued by fire wardens and assembly point coordinators during such situations, in order to ensure safety.
A fire simulation was organised at the forecourt of the Regent Campus, to provide members of the Regent Community with hands-on training in effective firefighting.
“The training threw light on a lot of grey areas regarding our knowledge of causes of fire outbreak, fire prevention and our reaction towards emergencies”, said Mr. Stephen Nana K. Ampadu, Regent’s Deputy Registrar in charge of Human Resource.
“Questions posed by participants and the answers provided highlighted the worrying concerns of majority of the population. The practical demonstrations were the climax of the events which has prepared participants to be able to stop an outbreak of fire from spreading. The programme could, therefore, be adjudged to have been very successful.”
“There are lots of ways to put out a fire, but today I learnt the most effective methods of doing so. The session was very educational and will go a long way towards creating a secure and safe campus environment”, said Winston Martin Odame-Labi, a second year, Information Systems Sciences student.
“The fire drill was informative and helped eliminate ignorance in relation to fire issues”, said Ronald Addo-Quaye, a participant in the training session and Director of the Information Technology Department at Regent.
“I am now well informed about bad practices and good practices, and I’m determined to go about my daily activities in a manner that will prevent fire outbreaks”, he added.