Dr. Sani Mubarak Ellis
Senior Lecturer, SIET
Cell : 026 489 9895
- University of Electronic Science and Technology, Chengdu, China (Sept. 2011 – Dec. 2014) – Electronic Engineering, Microwaves; research in Ultra Wideband (UWB) & Wideband Antennas, (PhD).
- Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden (2009 – 2011) - Wireless and Photonics Engineering, specializing in Microwave engineering, (MSc).
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana (2005 – 2009) – Electronic (Telecommunication) Engineering, (BSc).
Research and Publications
- Planar Monopole Ultra Wideband antennas. Using techniques to design and improve the performance of miniaturized planar monopole UWB antennas. Research basically involves simulation, fabrication, and testing of antenna prototypes to verify performance, publication, and supervision. Supervisor - Prof. Zhao Zhiqin, Professor, University of Electronic Science and Technology, China. September, 2011 – December, 2014
- 180 degrees IF hybrid for balanced SIS mixers. This was based on research including simulation results of the 180 degrees IF hybrid coupler. This was designed using lumped, ‘pi’ and ‘tee’ elements to achieve 3-db coupling and 180 degrees phase shift. Supervisor – Dimitar Dochev, PhD, GARD-MC2, Chalmers University, 2010.
- GaN Hemts. This research was about GaN Hemts, which is a new technology in power electronics applications for microwave transmitters and RADAR. GaN is the most promising technology since Gallium Nitride provides specific properties crucial to the performance of the HEMT technology, such as speed. This project was purely theoretical. Supervisor – Jan Stake, professor MC2, Chalmers University, 2010
- Mobile TV in Ghana. This research was based on research done in a company; BLACK STAR TV, who provided television services on their mobile phone handsets, it was the first of its kind in Ghana. Research was basically made of which frequencies they broadcast on, challenges in implementation, antenna sizes and medium of broadcast. Supervisor – Dr. Adam Imoro, Lecturer, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Ghana, 2009.
- M. S. Ellis, Zhiqin Zhao, Jiangniu Wu, Z. Nie and Qing Huo Liu, “Unidirectional planar monopole ultra-wideband antenna using a wrench-shaped feeding structure,” Electron. Lett, vol. 50, no. 9, April 2014.
- M. S. Ellis, Zhiqin Zhao, Jiangniu Wu, Z. Nie and Qing Huo Liu, “A Novel Miniature Band-Notched Wing-Shaped Monopole UltraWideband Antenna”, IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., vol. 12, pp. 1614 – 1617, 2013.
- M. S. Ellis, Zhiqin Zhao, Jiangniu Wu, Z. Nie and Qing Huo Liu, “A New Compact Microstrip-fed Monopole Antenna for Triple Band WLAN/WIMAX Applications,” Progress in Electromagnetic research (PIERL), vol. 48, pp. 129 - 135, 2014.
- M. S. Ellis, Zhiqin Zhao, Jiangniu Wu, Z. Nie and Qing Huo Liu, “A planar monopole UWB antenna with improved lower end bandwidth using an L-shaped stub extended on the ground plane,” Progress in Electromagnetic research (PIERC), vol. 52, pp. 109 – 114, 2014.
- Ma kun, Zhiqin Zhao, Jiangniu Wu, M. S. Ellis, Z. Nie, “A printed Vivaldi antenna with improved radiation patterns by using two pair of eye-shaped slots for UWB applications”, Progress in Electromagnetic research (PIER), vol. 148, pp. 63 - 71, 2014.
- Jiangniu Wu, Zhiqin Zhao, M. S. Ellis, Z. Nie and Qing Huo Liu, “Enhanced directivity and bandwidth of a stepped open-slot antenna with L-shaped slots and parasitic strip,” IET Micro., Antennas and Propag., vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 465 – 473, 2014.
- M. S. Ellis, “Miniature staircase profile printed monopole antenna for ultrawideband applications,” Cross Strait Quad-Regional Radio Science and Wireless Technology Conference. (CSQRWC), pp. 237 – 240, 2013.
- K. O. Gyasi, M. S. Ellis, J. J. Kponyo, “A Wideband Single Fed Circularly Polarized Slot Antenna for Multi-Band Applications” 2nd International Symposium on Instrumentation and Measurement, Sensor Network and Automation (IMSNA), 2013.
- A. Uz Zaman, M. S. Ellis, P.-S. Kildal, “Metamaterial based packaging Method for Improved Isolation of Circuit Elements in microwave modules,” Proceedings of the 42nd European Microwave Conference (EuMC), pp. 1214 – 1217, 2012.
- M. S. Ellis, Daniel Kotei, Zhiqin Zhao, Z. Nie, Qing-Huo Liu, “Planar Monopole UWB Antenna with Reduced Ground Plane Effect,” International Journal of Computer and Electrical Engineering (IJCEE), vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 393-401, 2014
- X. Ding, Zhiqin Zhao, L. Zhou, M. S. Ellis, Z. Nie, “Dual-band dual sense unidirectional circularly polarized antenna with CPW-Fed for wireless applications,” Progress in Electromagnetic research (PIERC), vol. 55, pp. 167 – 177, 2015.
- M. S. Ellis, Zhiqin Zhao, Jiangniu Wu, Z. Nie and Qing Huo Liu, “Miniaturized Planar Monopole UWB Antenna with Integrated RFID/GPS/GSM/WLAN Bands using Capacitively Loaded Loop Resonators (CLLRs),” IET Electronic Letter, Submitted, 2014.
- M. S. Ellis, Zhiqin Zhao, Jiangniu Wu, Z. Nie and Qing Huo Liu, “Single and Dual Band-Notched UWB Antenna Using Vertical Stubs Embedded in the Microstrip Feed Line,” IET, Microwaves Antennas and Propagation, Submitted, 2015.
- M. S. Ellis, Zhiqin Zhao, Jiangniu Wu, Z. Nie and Qing Huo Liu, “A small Planar Monopole Ultrawideband Antenna With Reduced Ground Plane Effect,” IET, Microwaves Antennas and Propagation, Accepted, 2015.
- M. S. Ellis, Zhiqin Zhao, Jiangniu Wu, Z. Nie and Qing Huo Liu, “A novel simple and compact microstrip-fed circularly-polarized wide slot antenna with wide axial ratio bandwidth for C-band applications,” IEEE, Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Minor revision, 2015.
- M. S. Ellis, Zhiqin Zhao, Jiangniu Wu, Z. Nie and Qing Huo Liu, “A compact wideband circularly polarized antenna using an L-shaped slot edge-fed by a microstrip feedline” IET, Microwaves Antennas and Propagation, Submitted, 2015.
Leadership, Communication, Achievements
- Article written about me in the School of Electronic Engineering website about being the first international students to graduate from the EE School. It also details my outstanding achievements, Jan. 2015. The article is published in: http://www.ee.uestc.edu.cn/home/ContentPage?Id=11403
- Article written about me in “Xueba: Genius in Research” detailing my achievements in research, May 2014. The article is published in: http://www.new1.uestc.edu.cn/news/index/id/2960
- CSC scholarship for 3 – 5 years to pursue a PhD in UESTC.
- Swedish Scholarship for 2 years to purse a Masters Degree in Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden.
- College Student Representative Council (SRC) member, 2008-2009.
- Appointed Sports and Entertainment representative Chairman, Ghana Engineering
- Students Association (GESA), 2008 – 2009. Organized a successful GESA games for 12 different engineering faculties and over 1500 students.
- Sports and Entertainment representative member, Ghana Engineering Students Association (GESA), 2007 – 2008.
Membership with Engineering Organizations, Communication, Achievements
- National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE), Region 1, Ghana.
- Ghana Institute of Engineers (GHIE)